- A smoother transition into the department/university/City of Davis
- A friendly face(s) outside of your year
- Someone to point you to useful resources
- The satisfaction of helping another student
- Developing mentorship skills
- An opportunity to reflect on growth since 1st year
How it works
Shortly before the beginning of Fall Quarter each year, an email will be sent with a form to sign up for the program as a mentee or a mentor. You will have the option to sign up for a one-on-one mentoring relationship, or to participate in group events only.
As a mentee or a mentor, you will be able to attend group events that interest you with little commitment. As a mentor, this is a good option if you want to meet and help out the new students, but travel often or may graduate before the year ends. As a mentee, this is a good option if you would like the social benefits of the mentorship program, but do not think you will need the attention of a one-on-one relationship.
- Each 1st year student (mentee) will be matched with a more senior student (mentor) using the mentee-mentor matching forms
- One year commitment (Fall to Fall)
- Fill out the mentee-mentor matching form (will be sent out before the start of Fall Quarter each year)
- One time orientation at the beginning of fall quarter (everyone attends), this will include introductions, guidelines, usually snacks and activities
- One-on-one meetings with a frequency agreed upon by mentee and mentor with a minimum of once a quarter. These can be formal, like in an office, or informal like in a coffee shop.
- Quarterly whole-group get-togethers. These meetings will be mostly social and only strongly recommended, rather than required.
- Quarterly short surveys to check in on satisfaction with relationship, etc. in order to make immediate improvements in the relationship.
- End of year longish survey to give detailed feedback in order to make long term improvements to the program.